Recycling guide

The unreleased energy contained in the average dustbin each year could power a television for 5,000 hours.

As much as 50% of waste in the average dustbin could be composted. Up to 80% of a vehicle can be recycled.

Nine out of ten people would recycle more if it were made easier. Your local council will collect most aluminium, paper, glass and plastics, but in case they don't, use the 'Bank Locator' tool on the Recycle More website to find your nearest recycling drop-off points.

Recycling your electrical equipment

Government figures show that UK households dispose of more than 1.2 million tonnes of electrical products every year - equivalent to 150,000 double-decker buses, enough to fill the new Wembley stadium six times over.

Recycling electrical equipment, instead of throwing it out, avoids hazardous substances going into landfill and conserves natural resources by recycling old equipment into new uses.

To remind you to recycle, new electrical products are marked with the crossed out wheelie bin symbol.

How to recycle

You can take old electrical equipment - anything from TVs and DVD players to power tools and electrical toys - back to participating civic amenity (waste) sites run by your local council.

Tesco has joined together with other leading UK electrical retailers to provide funding to help local councils to provide these facilities. You can find your nearest one by entering your postcode at Recycle More website or by calling the Tesco customer services helpline on 0800 50 55 55.

To find out more about the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2006 (WEEE) - which govern recycling electrical goods - visit our Greener Living site.

  • Large domestic appliances

    Tesco can arrange for some electrical products to be removed when we deliver your new product. Electric, gas and dual fuel cookers; standard fridges and freezers; washing machines; dishwashers and condensing tumble dryers can all be removed for a nominal fee. Please note that the removal must be booked at the same time as the delivery/installation and old appliances will need to be disconnected prior to the installer arriving.

  • Ink cartridges

    You can recycle ink cartridges with us and be rewarded with 125 Clubcard points. Simply pick up an envelope in store. Find out more about how to recycle your cartridge.

  • Printers, PC monitors, TVs

    These can all be recycled via your local civic amenity site.

  • Batteries

    From February 2010, new laws mean that most shops that sell batteries will have collection bins for used batteries. Tesco have collection bins in store, so just take your used batteries with you and drop them off. Please note that car batteries will need to be disposed of at your local civic amenity site.

Tesco Mobile phone trade-in

If you’re a Tesco Mobile customer, our trade-in service allows you to exchange your old phone for cash or get money off your contract. But the benefits of trading in go much further than that.

By collaborating with our trade-in partner, Redeem, we are better able to recover and reuse as many of your electronic devices as possible while pursuing the most cost-effective and energy-efficient way of introducing them back into the market.

The great news is that 95% are able to be reused and the remaining 5% handsets are broken down into component pieces and recyclables.

Extending the life cycle of your old mobile devices not only reduces waste going to landfill sites, but removes the need for the recycling and refining process where extensive energy and resources are used.

The environmental and social benefits of reuse include:

  • Reduced potential landfill waste

  • Cutting environmental impact by avoiding the refining/recycling process

  • Affordable technology for undeveloped society and nations

  • Improved infrastructure in undeveloped nations through increased communication