Mavrodaphni Of Patra Sweet Red Wine 75Cl
- Mavrodaphni - Red Greek Wine
- A truly remarkable, luscious, fullbodied dessert wine produced from the Mavrodaphni grape which grows in the vineyards overlooking the gulf of Patra.
- Wine of Greece
- Pack size: 75cl
- Contains Sulphites
Region of Origin
Greek Wine Cellars
Type of Closure
- The grapes are harvested in August and sun-dried before pressing. Normal fermentation takes place and is arrested by the addition of a small quantity of grape spirit. This kills the yeast and thereby preserves the sugar content (at 130 gms/lit). The wine is then aged in oak barrels for a minimum of one year using a ‘solera' system
- Mavrodaphne of Patras is a traditional wine of Greece. It is made from grape varieties unique to Greece. The wine was first made famous by Gustav Clauss, a Bavarian, who came to Greece with the Bavarian prince, Otto, who was offered the Crown of Greece in the 1830s. In 1864 the Mavrodaphne was introduced - so called in memory of Gustav's fiancee, a black-haired Greek girl called Daphne, who had died before they were able to be married. In the succeeding 150 years it has become a famed wine of Greece.
- The Mavrodaphne wine possesses a Protected Designation of Origin - Patras. It originates from vineyards on the low hills and lower slopes of the Peloponnesian mountains surrounding the city of Patras, from which it takes its full name, Mavrodaphne of Patras. The vineyards overlook the Gulf of Patras and are kept cool during the hot summer days by the onshore sea breezes. The soil is generally alluvial clay underlain by limestone.
- This wine can be drunk now but will further improve if carefully stored for up to 2 years
Name and address
- Bottled by:
- Greek Wine Cellars D. Kourtakis S.A.,
- 19003 Markopoulo,
Lower age limit
Using Product Information
While every care has been taken to ensure product information is correct, food products are constantly being reformulated, so ingredients, nutrition content, dietary and allergens may change. You should always read the product label and not rely solely on the information provided on the website.
If you have any queries, or you'd like advice on any Tesco brand products, please contact Tesco Customer Services, or the product manufacturer if not a Tesco brand product.
Although product information is regularly updated, Tesco is unable to accept liability for any incorrect information. This does not affect your statutory rights.
This information is supplied for personal use only, and may not be reproduced in any way without the prior consent of Tesco Stores Limited nor without due acknowledgement.
Tesco © Copyright 2019