- Organic Wholemeal Spelt Flour
- Spelt, triticum speltum, was widely grown in Roman times. It is an ancestor of modern wheat and its genetic heritage is a cross of wild grasses and early cultivated cereals.
- Stoneground from an ancient relative of modern wheat, spelt will add delicious complex flavours to all your baking.
- Baking with Spelt Flour
- Wholegrain spelt flour will be delicious in your favourite wholemeal recipes. Spelt breads will naturally prove and rise more quickly than those made with conventional wheat flour, so reduce rising times and bake as soon as the dough has doubled in size rather than the timing given in standard bread recipes
- At Doves Farm we make biscuits, cookies, snack bars and a large range of speciality flours.
- Spelt, or triticum spelta, is an ancient relative of the modern wheat, which we have been growing on our farm since 1996. First cultivated over 9,000 years ago, it is a cousin of modern wheat. Spelt warrants a mention in the book of Ezekiel in the Bible, as well as being favoured by mystics and herbalists throughout history. Legend has it that the Roman army called spelt their 'marching grain'. To make wholegrain flour, the inedible outer husk is removed, leaving the inner bran and grain intact. Wholegrain Spelt flour has a deliciously complex flavour and is excellent in specialist breads or luxurious cookies.
- Doves Farm Foods was established in 1978, when we wanted to make flour from the organic wheat we grew. We bought a millstone and set it up on the barn on our farm on the picturesque Wiltshire/Berkshire border. We now have a thriving business which mills many different and rare grains. At the hearts of our ethos, we are dedicated to ethical production methods, slow food and the organic movement. On our farm we rotate crops, livestock and grassland, as well as respecting the biodiversity of wildlife and the local environment. We have had Soil Association organic certification for over 30 years.
- We are also passionate about home baking and believe that what we eat today will affect our health and well-being tomorrow. Baking bread, cookies and cakes at home is satisfying and rewarding activity. You can choose the best, local and seasonal ingredients, and know what goes into you family's food.
- Michael & Clare Marriage, Doves Farm
- Pack size: 1000g
Spelt Flour* (contains Gluten), *Organic produce
- Contains: Gluten, Wheat
To keep your flour at its best, roll down the top after use, store in a cool dry place.Best before: see top
Ingredients from more than one country. Milled in the UK
Name and address
- Doves Farm Foods,
- RG17 0RF.
- Doves Farm Foods,
- RG17 0RF.
|Typical Values||Per 100g|
|of which saturates||0.4g|
|of which sugars||1.3g|
Using Product Information
While every care has been taken to ensure product information is correct, food products are constantly being reformulated, so ingredients, nutrition content, dietary and allergens may change. You should always read the product label and not rely solely on the information provided on the website.
If you have any queries, or you'd like advice on any Tesco brand products, please contact Tesco Customer Services, or the product manufacturer if not a Tesco brand product.
Although product information is regularly updated, Tesco is unable to accept liability for any incorrect information. This does not affect your statutory rights.
This information is supplied for personal use only, and may not be reproduced in any way without the prior consent of Tesco Stores Limited nor without due acknowledgement.
Tesco © Copyright 2019