Sofas buying guide
We've been working really hard to make buying your sofa easy.With such a comprehensive range, everyone can find a sofa to suit their lifestyle. Choose from contemporary or traditional styles, upholstered in leather, fabric or both. To help you make the right choice we offer you a guide to buying sofas, a free swatch service and a dedicated furniture customer service team.
There's not much point buying a fabulous new sofa only to discover it won't fit in your house. Before ordering, you need to check the dimensions of internal and external access points including doors, corridors, stairs and corners. Check all dimensions against your desired sofa to ensure access is possible.
If you're replacing existing furniture, sticking to the previous dimensions usually solves this problem. Decide on your furniture layout and once you've chosen it, measure its dimensions out in the room. Marking the floor area with tape will give you a really good idea of your furniture's proportions.
Decide on your furniture layout and once you've chosen it, measure its dimensions out in the room. Marking the floor area with tape will give you a really good idea of your furniture's proportions. If entry is tight, call our customer services team who can discuss other possible routes.
Please remember to check the dimensions so you can be sure your furniture fits.
Sofa covers are an ideal way to keep your sofa clean and protect it from dust. The two main types are:
- Fixed cover: a permanent cover attached to the frame of the sofa.
- Loose cover: a cover which can be removed and washed at a maximum of 40 degrees centigrade.
Cushion fillings affect the level of firm support, your furniture's appearance and its durability. Tesco stocks foam, fibre, fibre/foam and fibre and feather mixed sofas. All meet British UK safety standards.
- Foam: the most commonly used filling in our seating range, foam provides the firmest and most supportive cushion. It's also more flexible from a design point of view as it can be moulded into a variety of neat seat cushions. Foam fillings are highly resilient and are the best at retaining their shape.
- Fibre: this synthetic fibre filling, made up of woven strands of processed material, provides a soft to medium support. Fibre has a softness that contours itself around the body. As foam is not as resilient as other fillings, we use fibre fillings in back cushions, fixed back sofas and scatter cushions, rather than seat cushions, and these need regular plumping.
Pocket sprung sofas have sprung seat pads wrapped in a layer of foam. Softer than a foam cushion, these naturally keep their shape well. When plumping the cushions it is best to remove them from sofas and their covers where possible. You may plump in situ if your sofa has fixed cushions.
Types of leather
With all our full leather sofas, we aim to offer the best in both quality and value. All our models are upholstered in a combination of top grain leather on all facing and wearing areas, with 'split leather' (the secondary layer of the leather hide) used on sides and backs only, where your sofa is not subject to the same visibility or wear. Our choices of leather vary depending on style and budget from our everyday quality leather to our top quality range of luxury leathers, but each is carefully chosen for its durability and good looks.
- Quality leather: featuring an embossed grain and matt finish to provide a very uniform look, our quality grade leather is perfect for family life as it is hard wearing and easy to maintain.
- Premium leather: like our quality grade, premium leather also features an embossed grain to give a more uniform finish, but the lesser levels of finishing provide a more natural look. This higher grade leather is also softer to the touch and will become more supple over time. Our 'cognac' colour premium leather features an antiqued patina finish.
- Luxury leather: the ultimate investment purchase, our best grade leather offers a luxurious natural feel and lends your sofa a relaxed style that will last and last. Its low levels of treatment ensure the most authentic leather look and softest texture, with the leather retaining many of its natural features. Its thicker, hard wearing surface will ensure that it keeps its good looks throughout the years. Given its natural surface treatment, each model will have its own unique appearance due to the visibility of natural characteristics in the grain.
Where you see the leather mark
This signifies that the leather hide has been tested by the British Leather Consortium (BLC) and is certified as 'Real Leather'.
A sofa to suit your home
At Tesco we work hard to provide a sofa to suit all lifestyles and all homes. Here's a handy guide, to help you decide which type is best for you.
- Corner sofas: choose a left-hand or right-hand configuration and free up more space. Supplied in a minimum of 2 parts for easy installation.
- Modular sofas: the ultimate in versatility. Select the pieces you need and create your own layout.
- Recliners: unsurpassed relaxation and comfort. Simple home assembly required to slot the back into place.
- Sofabeds: combine a comfortable sofa with a practical extra bed just when you need it.
- Foam pull-out bed: ideal for occasional use. Try one in the kids' room or a spare room.
- Futon: great value comfy seating. Easy to convert to an occasional bed.
- Metal action: sturdy and comfortable. Use every day as a sofa and for prolonged use as a bed.
Important care information
- When you invest in a new sofa you want it to last. Here are a few tips to help prolong its life.
- Vigorously plump fibre and feather cushions weekly to minimize settlement.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to light.
- Rotate reversible cushions weekly to significantly extend their life and prevent uneven settlement.
- Do not sit on arms.
- Your cushions will soften in the first few weeks of use, but this will not affect their durability.
- Avoid contact with sharp objects
- Vacuum or use soft brush weekly as accumulated dirt will wear and dull cover.
- Mop up any spills immediately with clean dry cloth.
- Ensure equal washing frequency of all pieces to avoid shade variation.
- Avoid washing powders or liquids that contain optical brighteners. Mild detergents should be used.
- Line drying is recommended.
- Dry cleaning is acceptable.
Removing cushion covers
- Unzip the seat and back cushion covers. Reaching inside carefully fold the cushion inner and ease it out through the opening without straining the zip.
Delivery and swatch
Our delivery teams will protect anything which is at risk of being damaged such as wooden floors or lights. Our team take great care not to cause any damage when entering your home. They will deliver your sofa to the room of your choice, unwrap and remove the packing if requested.
If your sofa needs the feet fitted, they will do this on delivery for you after removing the packaging. Find out more about our delivery options.
A swatch service is also available for the majority of our upholstery and leather furniture products via the direct catalogue and online.
This service is for all customers who are curious about how the product they are interested in will look in their home.
If you would like to use this service before you purchase, you can fill in your address details and it will be sent to you within 3 working days, subject to availability.
How to contact us
If you would like further information about our sofas, advice on fitting or details of delivery options, please contact our dedicated furniture customer service team on 0845 026 45 49*
We're open Monday to Friday 8am - 11pm, 8am - 8pm on Saturdays and 10am - 6pm on Sundays.
* Calls cost 6p, plus up to 2p per minute for BT Calling Plans, mobile and other charges may vary.