Returns policy and refunds
Peace of mind when you change yours
We’d like you to be happy with everything you purchase from Tesco. Should you change your mind about your purchase, please return the product with your proof of purchase, within 30 days, and we’ll happily offer a replacement or refund.
Please be aware that some products have different return time limits and exceptions when you change your mind. For specific return requirements and for information on how to return a product please refer to the relevant section below.
- Returning groceries?
We ask that perishable food items are returned for change of mind within their use by date. Please be aware that we do not accept change of mind returns on certain products due to health and hygiene reasons (such as toothbrushes).
You can return faulty or change of mind goods, including substitutions, to the delivery driver or to store (with proof of purchase), or call us on 0800 323 4040.
- Is your item faulty or damaged?
We do our best to make sure everything works perfectly, but if you find that any of our products are faulty within 12 months from purchase, we guarantee you a full refund, repair or replacement.
Many electrical or mobile phone problems can be resolved quickly by our product support guides or by our helplines.
Visit our product support page and get step-by-step instructions, trouble-shooter tips and FAQs on selected products.
All items we supply are required to comply with the contract. If they don’t, you have the following rights in addition to your legal rights.
- Within 30 days of receipt of the goods (or for perishable goods within their use-by date), you will be offered the choice of a repair or full refund.
- From 30 days after receipt of the goods until 12 months, we will arrange for a repair of the goods and, if this does not work, a refund.
- After the first 12 months from receipt of the goods, you may be offered a partial refund or repair, depending on the product and usage.
You agree to return the goods, but we will bear the return postage costs of you returning faulty or damaged goods providing they have been used in accordance with all necessary instructions.
We reserve the right to send out an engineer or technician to inspect the goods to confirm the fault before accepting the return.
- Returning F&F Clothing?
We do not accept certain products due to health and hygiene reasons such as underwear and swimwear.
We ask that you let us have any tabs, labels and accessories when you return any products.
100 Day Quality Guarantee
In addition to your right to return school uniform for change of mind or in the event that it is faulty or damaged, we also offer a 100 day quality guarantee on school uniform (including shoes). If you are not satisfied with the quality of your school uniform you can return it within 100 days with your proof of purchase for an exchange or refund. Excludes embroidered uniform.
You can return faulty or change of mind goods to Store (excluding Tesco Express).
- Returning Embroidered Uniform and uniforms sent by post?
Embroidered Uniform and uniforms sent to you by post can only be returned by post.
To return by post:
- You’ll have received a returns form with your purchase. Please fill out the reason for your return on the returns form and enclose in the parcel. If the item is damaged or faulty, be sure to let us know clearly. Only items listed on the form can be returned using the freepost label.
- Unpeel the returns label on your order summary and stick it over the original address label on the packaging. The returns address for Uniform Embroidery Service is PO Box 6153, Wolverhampton WV1 9RW.
- Please carefully repack the item with the order summary in the original packaging if you have it and securely seal the parcel. We need the returns form to process your return.
- Securely seal the parcel using the remaining adhesive strip on the original packaging. If your box or bag is damaged and can’t be reused please pack your items securely in alternative packaging.
- Postage is free, so you can just drop the parcel in the post, but it’s a good idea to keep proof of postage. Items returned without proof of postage are sent at your own risk.
- Returning SIM free and pay as you go mobile phone products?
If you are having trouble with a SIM free or pay as you go mobile phone product you are welcome to contact our customer helpline on 0800 323 4050.
You can also return faulty or change of mind goods to a Tesco store (excluding Tesco Express).
For contract phones, please see our Tesco Mobile returns policy.
- Returning products purchased on Tesco Direct before 9 July 2018?
The Tesco Direct website closed on 9 July 2018. For purchases made prior to this date please refer to the Tesco Direct Returns Policy
- Returning Wine by the Case?
Items can be returned to any large Tesco store (excluding Tesco Express and Tesco Metro stores).
We will refund the delivery charge if you return all items of your order at the same time.
Extended right to return Wine by the Case
In addition to your right to return Wine by the Case items for change of mind or in the event that it is faulty or damaged, we also offer an extended right to return on orders of 10 cases or more. For an extended period of 3 months, we will accept up to 10% of the original order returned to us via the above channel.
We ask that the wine is returned in its original packaging with labels, foils, corks or screw-caps intact and unopened. Only full, whole cases may be returned. We are unable to offer sale or return on fine wine products. All products must be returned within 3 months of delivery. We will not be able to accept returns that are over 10% of the order.
- Receiving your refund
Once we have received your product, we’ll refund your money in the same way you initially paid for it.
- By credit or debit card – Your money will go back onto the same card. Allow 3-5 working days for the refund to show in your account.
- Clubcard vouchers – We’ll give you the equivalent value in Clubcard points.
- By gift card or money card – Your money will go back onto a Tesco Gift Card or money card.
If you purchased at an offer price, your refund will be based on that promotional price. If you are returning items that were purchased on a promotion, such as ‘Buy one get one half price’ or ‘3 for 2’, then the promotion will no longer apply and your refund value will be adjusted accordingly.
Any Clubcard points on a returned item will be deducted from your account.
Where you use more than one method of payment to pay for goods and you are returning only some of the goods in your order, refunds shall be applied in the following order: 1. Clubcard Voucher (as Clubcard points), 2. Gift card, and 3. Credit/Debit Card. Where you use a Coupon when paying for your order, the Coupon will be considered used where you are returning only some of the goods to which the Coupon applies – you will only be able to redeem the Coupon against a future purchase if you are returning all the goods to which the Coupon applies.
- Your legal rights
Our refund policy is in addition to and does not affect any of your legal rights.
The simplest way to return your items are set out above but you can also tell us you’ve changed your mind by completing and returning this cancellation form.
If you have any complaints about an online transaction, please get in touch at our Contact Us page and we will endeavour to find a solution. If you would like to escalate your complaint, the European Commission has set up an online service to resolve disputes about online transactions. Please visit the Online Dispute Resolution website.