Try something new this week
Victoria sponge cake method
- Pre-heat the oven to gas 3, 170°C, fan 150°C.
- Grease and line 2x 8-inch (20cm) springform cake tins with non-stick baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together 160g butter, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 160g caster sugar.
- Use an electric handheld whisk so it’s light and fluffy.
- Lightly beat 3 large eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add the eggs a tablespoon at a time, beating well between additions, until fully incorporated.
- Carefully fold 160g self-raising flour in using a large metal spoon.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the two prepared cake tins.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Insert a cake tester into the centre of the cakes and see if it comes out clean.
- If they’re done, remove and allow the tins to cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Turn out and peel away the non-stick baking paper.
- Whip 100ml double cream to soft peaks as the cakes cool.
- Spread the bottom half of the cake with the cream in an even layer.
- Spread the strawberry jam evenly and carefully on top of the cream.
- Sandwich the cake with the other half of the cake and transfer it carefully to a serving plate.
- Dust with 1 tbsp icing sugar and serve.
Victoria sponge cake
Showing 1-8 of 8 items