Welcome to Tesco Wine by the case.
We hope you enjoy your visit.
Highly aromatic wine , medium-bodied with soft tannins.
Smooth and flavoursome in the mouth, original and reasonably complex, with aromatic notes from each variety in evidence.
This wine is ideal for drinking now but can be kept for up to 3 years
Jancis Robinson - Financial Times 23/06/2012
Of the 2010 vintage, Jancis Robinson said: “From the Aragonese foothills of the Pyrenees, this novel blend showcases the perfumed local Moristel grape with Garnacha and Syrah. Very aromatic with good structure and a dry finish. This is real wine at a bargain price, presumably because Somontano has no great reputation.”
David Williams - The Observer Magazine 26/08/2012
Of the 2010 vintage, David Williams said: "In the foothills of the Pyrenees in northeast Spain, Somontano is a region to watch, and this is a very affordable introduction to its charms. Made from the local moristel variety, with syrah and garnacha, it's the kind of useful (even when it's not on offer) affordable red that is juicy and succulent rather than hefty, but has enough guts and bite to work with bangers and mash."
First established in 1964 as the “Cooperativa Somontano de Sobrarbe”, before the DO even existed. In 1993 Bodega Pirineos SA was formed jointly by the Cooperative, Aragon government & local investors. In July 2007, The Barbadillo Group family bought 76% of the company and the remaining 24% is still owned by the original Coop.
The winery is located on the slopes of the Pyrenees at the very heart of Somontano region in the province of Huesca( Aragón).This spectacular environment is protected from the cold of the Pyrenrsn peaks by the Sierra de Guara and Sierra de la Candelera mountain ranges.