Sun Proof Fun!
Helping you and your family enjoy the Summer Sun.
Summer sun navigation
- Nivea Sun
- Supporting Cancer Research UK
Helping you and your family enjoy the sun safely
ENJOY THE SUN SAFELY
We all want to have fun in the sun, but it's important to make sure you are safe too! When the sun is strong, spend some time in the shade, wear a wide-brimmed hat, t-shirt and sunglasses and apply sunscreen. Using shade, clothes and sunscreen can help protect against the harmful effects of too much sun.
WHAT SUNSCREEN SHOULD I BUY?
Sun Protection Factor (SPF) refers to how much protection the sunscreen provides against UVB rays. Cancer Research UK recommends using a minimum of SPF15 - the higher the better. It is important to protect yourself from UVA rays too, so choose a sunscreen with UVA protection by looking at the star rating - the higher the better.
Children's skin is delicate and can be easily damaged by the sun, so take extra care to protect their skin from too much sun. People with fair skin and lots of moles and/or freckles also should take extra care to protect their skin.
No sunscreen, no matter how high the factor, can provide 100% protection. It is important to protect yourself by spending time in the shade when the sun is at its strongest (usually between 11am-3pm) and wearing a wide-brimmed hat, t-shirt and sunglasses.
HOW MUCH SUNSCREEN SHOULD YOU USE?
Follow our tips to make sure you are properly protected this summer:
- Apply generously BEFORE you go out in the sun - apply enough to give a visible layer, rub in then repeat to avoid missed bits
- Re-apply regularly, especially after swimming, towelling, changing clothes or sweating
- Even sunscreens that claim to be 'waterproof' should be reapplied after going in the water
- For every full body application use about 30ml for an adult or 15ml for a child
- Spend time in the shade when the sun is at its strongest, usually between 11am and 3pm
- Cover up with clothing such as a t-shirt, wide brimmed hat and sunglasses
DID YOU KNOW?
- The UK sun can be just as strong as the sun abroad so don't forget the sunscreen, hats and sunglasses on UK family holidays too.
- 200ml of suncream provides 6 full body applications for an average sized adult. So make sure you have enough suncream for all the family!
- Remember, the sun's rays can penetrate through clouds and mist. Make sure you know when to protect your skin by using the UV index to find out how strong the sun's rays really are.
- If you have partially used sunscreen bottles from the year before, or even longer, they may not be as effective.
MORE FOR KIDS?
Kids love the sun but their skin needs effective protection in strong sun, including in the water. But even water resistant sunscreens need to be reapplied after swimming. And don't forget to pop on a hat and a t-shirt when they are playing outside in strong sun.