The journey begins thousands of miles away on tropical plantations in Central and South America and Africa. By forging strong partnerships with its farmers Tesco knows its growers will go the extra mile so that every bunch arrives with you in the best condition possible.
The majority of Tesco's bananas are grown in Costa Rica, where the plantations are overseen by a technical manager for tropical fruit who has more than 10 years experience. The banana farms employ thousands of people from local communities and contribute to the economy. Many of the farms invest in local projects, such as after-school sports initiatives They also collaborate with Costa Rica's National Institute of Learning, to provide literacy and computer training for workers, as well as assisting with a social aid programmes to help vulnerable families on low incomes.
It takes about nine months for a banana plant to produce its fruit and a further three months for it to be ready for picking. During this time the growers are pruning and hoeing to ensure a good harvest.
Bananas are picked when green and go to pack houses to be prepared for shipping. This requires a skilled hand with an expert touch, to deliver the fruit in the best condition. When the bananas reach Britain, they're transferred straight from temperature controlled containers on the ships to special rooms for ripening before being checked for quality and colour and distributed to stores all over the country. This field-to-store operation helps guarantee a traceable product that's affordable, nutritious and tasty. No wonder we love 'em.
- All Tesco bananas are picked by hand with the greatest of care by skilled growers, so they arrive in store in the best condition possible.
- Bananas are a good source of potassium, which can help keep blood pressure down.
- One medium-sized banana is about 150 calories, so will keep hunger pangs at bay and also counts towards your 5-a-day.
- A complex carbohydrate, bananas satisfy a carving for sweetness because they release their energy slowly to help you sustain a steady blood sugar level.
- A banana blended with a handful of strawberries and some natural yogurt makes a delicious smoothie.