SquareTrade Terms and Conditions
Your policy provides cover against the cost of repair of the insured item or where a repair cannot be completed the replacement of the Insured Item in the event of breakdown during the period of cover. The breakdown cover provided by your policy commences on the expiry of the manufacturer’s warranty period and continues for the period of cover.
Where your certificate of insurance includes cover for accidental damage your policy is extended to provide cover in the event of accidentaldamage to the insured item during the period of cover.
The words and phrases defined below have the same meaning wherever they appear in bold in this policy document.
Accidental Damage – Accidental damage, including liquid damage caused by a sudden and unexpected event and which stops the insured item from working correctly.
Administrator/We/Us/Our – SquareTrade Limited.
Breakdown – The failure of the insured item to operate during the period of cover due to an internal mechanical or electrical fault which occurs after the date the manufacturer’s warranty expires.
Certificate of insurance – the document sent to you via post or electronic mail which shows the period of cover and insured item.
Insured item – the item shown on your certificate of insurance and which is covered by this insurance.
Insurer – UK General Insurance Ltd. on behalf of Ageas Insurance Limited.
Period of cover – the cover period shown on your certificate of insurance.
UK – England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man.
You/your – the person named on the certificate of insurance.
This insurance is administered by SquareTrade Limited, Registered in England No. 7165194. Registered Address: Unit 1.02 Enterprise House, 1-2 Hatfields, London, SE1 9PG, United Kingdom. SquareTrade Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority under registered number 538538.
FINANCIAL SERVICES COMPENSATION SCHEME
Ageas Insurance Limited is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if Ageas Insurance Limited cannot meet its obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim. Most insurance contracts are covered for 90% of the claim with no upper limit. You can get more information about compensation scheme arrangements from the FSCS or visit www.fscs.org.uk.
THE CONTRACT OF INSURANCE
Your Insurance has been arranged by SquareTrade Limited with UK General Insurance Ltd on behalf of Ageas Insurance Limited, Registered in England No.354568. Registered Office: Ageas House, Hampshire Corporate Park, Templars Way, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 3YA.
UK General Insurance Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Ageas Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
This can be checked on the Financial Services Register at www.fca.org.uk/firms/systems–reporting/register or by calling them on 0800 111 6768.
This policy document, your purchase receipt and the certificate of insurance form the contract of insurance between you and the insurer. Please read them and keep them safe.
The insurer will provide the cover shown in this policy document during theperiod of cover. The provision of cover is conditional upon you observing and fulfilling the terms, provisions and conditions set out within this policy.
We will provide the cover set out below during the period of cover:
- Accidental Damage Cover – we will cover any repair costs if your insured item fails to operate as the result of an accident.
Examples of accidents covered include drops, spills and liquid damage associated with the handling and use of the insured item. It does not provide protection against theft, loss, reckless or abusive conduct, cosmetic damage or damage that does not affect the functionality of the insured item.
- Breakdown Cover – After the expiry of any manufacturer’s guarantee we will cover any repair costs if your insured item suffers breakdown during normal use.
Examples of a breakdown covered under your policy include hard drive failures, motherboard issues and power port malfunctions. We will also cover battery failures if the battery is not designed to be removable by you and is holding less than 50% of its original charge.
LIMIT OF COVERAGE
The maximum liability under your policy shall be the original purchase price of the insured item, excluding delivery charges.
If you have received repairs or replacements up to the value of the original purchase price of the insured item or a cash settlement or a gift card for the replacement cost of a new item of equal features and functionality, your policy will immediately end.
In the event of a covered breakdown, you must call SquareTrade for the repair to be authorised.
How to Make a Claim
If the insured item suffers breakdown or accidental damage please call us on 0808 189 1453 or 0203 514 2354 from your mobile, 8am - 8pm GMT, Mon – Fri and 9am – 6pm weekends.
We will attempt to troubleshoot the problem you are experiencing, if we cannot resolve the problem and depending on what the insured item is, we will:
- pass your details to our authorised repair centre who will contact you and arrange an appointment to come out and repair the insured item (applicable for large items only, such as washing machines, fridges or TVs with a screen larger than 37”); or
- send you a pre-paid shipping label for smaller items; or
- send you a pre-paid shipping box for fragile items such as laptops.
Where we send someone to repair the insured item, appointments will be between 9am and 6pm, Monday to Friday.
You will be responsible for the safe packaging and shipment of the insured item.
If the authorised service facility determines that the insured item is in working condition or the fault or damage is not covered by your policy, we will return the insured item to you or dispose of it at your request.
If you do not submit the insured item we will not be able to consider your claim.
If we are unable to repair the insured item, we will (at our discretion) either:
- Provide a new, rebuilt or refurbished product of the same or newer model;
- Provide a cash settlement or gift card reflecting the replacement cost of a new item of equal features and functionality, up to the replacement cost of the insured item.
If you receive a cash settlement, gift card or replacement, then we may take possession of the original insured item and dispose of it. If we return the item to you and you choose to dispose of it we will not be responsible for any disposal charges.
This policy provides the same level of cover while you are travelling outside of the UK.
If the insured item needs repair while you are traveling outside of the UK, you must indicate that you are abroad when you contact us. Worldwide service does not include shipping or on-site service. If you do not wish to pay for shipping to and from our service facility in the UK, you can obtain service by taking the insured item into an authorised service centre and submit to us a copy of the detailed service repair invoice that identifies the insured item together with the repair authorisation number obtained from us prior to any repairs being undertaken. The repair invoice should include a thorough description of the repair made and a breakdown of the costs incurred. This documentation should be faxed or emailed to us:
Fax: 0800 014 8458
We will reimburse you within 5 business days of receipt of all necessary paperwork, provided the accidental damage or breakdown was covered under your policy.
YOUR CANCELLATION RIGHTS
You have the statutory right to cancel your policy within 45 days from the date of purchase of the your policy or from the date on which you receive your policy documentation, whichever is the later; If you wish to cancel during this period, you will be entitled to a full refund of the premium paid.
Following the expiry of your 45 day statutory cooling-off period, you continue to have the right to cancel your policy at any time during the period of cover. If you do so, you will be entitled to a refund of the premium paid, subject to a deduction for the time for which you have been covered.
Please note that, if you have made a claim and subsequently wish to cancel your policy, we may seek to recover any monies paid to you in settlement of the claim.
To exercise your right to cancel your policy please call us on 0808 189 1453, or 020 3514 2354 from your mobile.
Where you have sold or transferred ownership of the insured item to another person you may transfer this policy to another person by calling 0808 189 1453 or 020 3514 2354 from your mobile, between 8am and 8pm GMT, Mon – Fri and 9am – 6pm weekends.We will not pay for any damage occurring whilst the insured item is being shipped to a new owner.
Your insured item is not covered for:
- Any claim for accidental damage where your policy does not provide cover for accidental damage;
- Any claim for theft or loss;
- For iPhones and Mobile Phones only, the first £50 of each claim.
- Any cost relating to the recompilation and/or reinstallation and/or retrieval of data; or the loss of stored information including (but not limited to) any data, downloads, videos, music and applications;
- Breakdown or accidental damaged caused by:
- Breakdown or damage caused intentionally by you or anyone who lives with you.
- Exposure of the insured item to weather conditions such as lightning, rain, flood and high winds;
- Accessories or peripherals beyond those supplied with the insured item when new;
- Any form of portable external storage media ,such as tapes, CD's and DVD's;
- Software, programming, or any form of electronic virus;
- Any modification of the insured item;
- Repair costs for:
- Work which relates to a manufacturer's recall of the insured item, or any costs covered under the manufacturer’s warranty;
- Disposable/customer replaceable items such as removable batteries, styli, or bulbs (including rear projection TV bulbs);
- Repairs carried out while the insured item is within the UK by persons not authorised by us.
- Any cost suffered as a result of not being able to use the insured item or any cost other than the repair or replacement cost of the insured item;
- Any claim for damage caused by general wear and tear, scratching or any other type of damage that does not affect how the insured item works, i.e. cosmetic damage;
- Any cost for breakdown or accidental damage caused by your failure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions / or installation guide for the use and/or care of the insured item;
- Any cost for routine maintenance, adjustment ,modification, or servicing;
- Servicing, inspecting or cleaning of the insured item; Repairs to televisions due to or arising from:
- Unusual physical or electrical stress, burned screen or software interface problems;
- Pixel failure where the location or number does not exceed the manufacturer's acceptable limit;
- Any damage caused during delivery or installation;
- Breakdown or accidental damage to product(s) with removed or altered serial numbers;
- War, terrorism, act of foreign hostilities (whether war be declared or not), civil commotion, or contamination by nuclear radiation.
OTHER CONDITIONS AND LIMITATIONS
- The cover provided under this insurance is only valid on insured item which are purchased for personal and private use. There is no cover for any item which is purchased solely for commercial or business use.
- This insurance must have been purchased at the same time as the insured item or within 60 days of purchase of the insured item.
- This insurance only applies to items purchased as new. There is no cover for items described as ‘used’ or ‘second-hand’ unless you have purchased the insured item and the benefit of the policy has been transferred to you under the “Transfer” section of the policy.
- You must be over 18 years of age to take out this insurance cover.
- This insurance is limited to insured item purchased by UK residents.
- This insurance is automatically cancelled, if you or a person acting on your behalf submit a claim knowing it to be false, fraudulent or misrepresentation, in which case we may refer the matter to the Police.
- You must provide proof of purchase of the insured item in the event of a claim, such as a purchase receipt from the retailer of the insured item.
CHANGES WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT
You are required by the provisions of the Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act to take care to provide complete and accurate answers to the questions we ask when you take out your policy or when you make changes to your policy.
Please tell us if there are any changes to the information set out in your certificate of insurance, or any other changes in your circumstances which may affect your insurance, for example:
- You sell the insured item or transfer ownership to another person.
- You change your address
If you are in any doubt, please contact us on 0808 189 1453 or 020 3514 2354 from your mobile.
When we are notified of a change, we will tell you if this affects your insurance, for example whether we are able to accept the change and if so whether the change will result in revised terms and/or premium being applied to your policy. If we are not told about a change it may affect any claim that you make.
If the information provided by you is not complete and accurate, we may:
- Revise the premium; and/or
- Cancel your policy; and/or
- Refuse to pay a claim
CHOICE OF LAW
Unless some other law is agreed in writing, this policy is governed by English law. If there is a dispute, it will only be dealt with in the courts of England or of the country within the UK in which your main residence is situated.
USE OF LANGUAGE
Unless otherwise agreed, the contractual terms and conditions and other information relating to this contract will be in English.
SquareTrade's goal is to provide you with the best service possible at all times. If for any reason you are not satisfied with our service, contact SquareTrade and we will promptly review your case and respond to you. You can contact SquareTrade at:
Customer Experience Manager,
Unit 1.02 Enterprise House,
Telephone: 0808 189 1453 or 0203 514 2354 from your mobile, 8am - 8pm GMT, Mon – Fri and 9am – 6pm weekends.
We will contact you immediately after receiving your complaint to inform you of what action we are taking and explain our complaint handling process to you. Once you have received your final response from us, and if you are still not satisfied you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service: Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London, E14 9SR. By telephone on 0845 0801800 or 0300 1239 123 or by Email address:firstname.lastname@example.org
The details you supply to make your policy purchase will be stored and used by the administrator, SquareTrade Limited. This information may be shared and exchanged with the insurer or other third parties for the purpose of providing insurance and handling claims and repairs. Your personal details may be transferred outside the EU. They will at all times be held securely and handled with the utmost care in accordance with all principles of English and Irish law.