Tesco is working with product safety testing company Intertek and The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) to help people celebrate Halloween safely. If you follow these few simple tips, then it should reduce the risk of accidental injury.
Please take a few minutes to think about safety in advance.
- Candles are used at Halloween so please use them carefully.
- Remember to extinguish all candles if they are to be left unattended.
- Don’t allow children to carry pumpkins with lit candles, or play or be around candles. Use battery operated candles instead.
- When outside, ensure children can be seen in the dark. Wear something reflective such as a reflective strip or glow stick, and carry a torch.
- If outside, ensure children are supervised by a suitable adult.
- Remind children of how to cross roads safely before leaving home.
- Remove any Halloween make-up or fake blood immediately if itching occurs. It could be the first indication of an allergic reaction to something within the cosmetic.
- Dressing up costumes should be tested against the toy standards flammability requirements and carry a CE mark.
- Please be aware that items you may make or use may not have had any flammability testing so could ignite easily.
- Follow the Firework Code (see www.saferfireworks.com for more information)