Fridges buying guide
Buying a new freezer can be a more complicated process than you might think. What size and capacity of fridge do you need? Do you just want a standard unit or a fridge freezer? What extra features should you look out for? Our buying guide to fridges answers all these questions.
Choosing a new fridge
- How much space do you have in your kitchen?
- How much food do you need to store in your fridge?
- Do you require a fridge and a freezer in one unit?
- Do you usually buy fresh or frozen foods?
- Energy saving
For example, if you live in a flat, or have limited kitchen space, you may not want a large fridge. Similarly, if you have a big family and need to store plenty of food, then you should look for a good size fridge or fridge-freezer. If you already have a freezer, then you may want to consider a larder fridge - a unit without a freezer compartment and lots of storage space. This is also a good option if you buy much fresh food.
Your fridge is rated for energy efficiency from A (excellent) to G (low efficiency).
Fridges and fridge-freezers are designed to either sit under a work surface, like a washing machine, or stand separately in the kitchen. The latter offers the most storage, but takes up a lot more space (American style fridges and freezers with double swing doors are the largest style, and can be twice as wide as a standard model).
Again, the type that is right for you depends on the amount of food you think you will need to store. Storage capacity of fridges and freezers is measured in litres. The size of the fridge area in relation to the freezer space will vary from model to model so it's best to consider how large or small you'd prefer the comparative sizes to be.
There are a number of additional features that some fridges offer, making them much easier to use. You might want to check for:
- Automatic defrost: the auto-defrost function helps to prevent frosting in your fridge by regulating temperature.
- Frost-free: this can help prevent the trays icing up by reducing the buildup of ice in the freezer and fridge sections.
- Wipe-clean shelves: a fridge with glass plate shelves can be easily cleaned, making your fridge more hygienic.
Take Home Today
If you need your new refrigerator quicker than our standard delivery times, look out for selected items with the “Take Home Today” logo. These items are available in selected stores for same day collection. Simply contact the store to check that the item is in-stock and then collect.