- By expanding our range of Fairtrade
to 90 products we have become the UK’s leading Fairtrade retailer.
Our customers now buy 1 in 3 Fairtrade products sold in UK supermarkets.
- We introduced Britain’s first fully automated
recycling machine, which makes it even easier for customers to recycle
by sorting metal, plastic and glass so our customers don’t have
- We have trained all our buyers and all our high-risk
own-brand suppliers on how to uphold labour standards in the supply chain.
- We have audited 100% of high-risk own-brand suppliers against the labour
standards set out in our ethical trading policy.
- We worked with the Red Cross to collect over £2.8m
for the Tsunami appeal in our UK stores, and gave over £310,000
in the UK and affected countries.
- Through Computers for Schools we gave away over 2,700
computers and over 86,000 items of computer equipment worth £8 million.
- We continued our support for Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life
with 18,752 Tesco people joining over 390,000 participants around the
UK to raise over £20 million.
- We raised over €1 million for Childline, our Charity
of the Year in Ireland.
- We became the first British retailer to have our in-house
training accredited by the Qualification and Curriculum Authority. This
means we can now award nationally-recognised NVQ qualifications.
- Our staff benefitted from £169 million through Shares in Success
and Save As You Earn schemes.
- We introduced a new ‘Supplier Viewpoint’
survey to gain an even better understanding of what it is like to work
- We received grade ‘A’ rating in the Greenpeace Good Garden
Furniture Guide for our own-brand garden furniture range.