Embark on a dark, underground adventure of horror and the paranormal. Auld Reekie Tours take you deep beneath Edinburgh though infamously eerie tunnels said to be very active with the lingering spirits of the after-life.
What you get
Exchange £2.50 in Clubcard vouchers for £10 back in tokens to put towards a day around, or underneath, Edinburgh's twisting roads. From there, let your tour guide lead you down into the darkness.
Auld Reekie tours, recommended as part of the Scottish Tourist Board are the scariest tours in the country. Choose from the following:
• The Original Underground Tour – descend deep beneath the city to the South Bridge Vaults.
• The Wynds & Closes Tour – a Saturday historical walk round the Royal Mile where you'll learn the city's darkest secrets.
• The Ghost & Torture Tour – a nightly jaunt where you're treated to a visit to the torture exhibition.
• The Terror Tour – listen to the scariest tales ever heard both above and below ground, a visit to the torture exhibition, and entrance to the infamous stone circle.
An Auld Reekie Tour is one with a difference, one that takes you under the city's streets for a totally different perspective of the beautiful Scottish capital. They're definitely ones worth sharing with family and friends and are bound to live long in the memory.
How to place your order
1. Choose how much in Clubcard vouchers you’d like to exchange using the basket on the right. Any change left over from your Clubcard vouchers will be added back into your Clubcard Account.
2. We’ll post your tokens and details on how to use them within 5 working days of your order being placed.
For more information about using your boost tokens with Days Out,
additional information about Days Out (download PDF file *)
Visit their website.
* To view this file, you will need to download Adobe Reader.
- Spooky vaults!By Danny2bucks02 September 2015aged 25 to 34Male
Went on the terror tour, after about 30 minutes of walking outside with various stops along the way and the guide talking about the 'not so good ol days' we went into the torture exhibition right next to the vaults where we got to witness some devious torture tools and what they were used for, about 20 minutes in there we were. Then we went into the vaults for about 35-40 minutes, and while I didn't find the tour scary before it, the feeling inside was genuinly unsettling, I kept seeing shadows lurking at the side of my prereferal vision which genuinly creeped me out. Now I don't know if that was part of my imagination and the history and energy of said history contained in the rooms that made me feel that way or if it was actual ghosts I was seeing but either way it was a very odd feeling. Now if you don't have any interest in the paranormal and ghosts then you might not find that part as creepy as me but if you do it's a must to go see these vaults at least once. The terror tour was 90 minutes long although the website said 75 minutes but that's a good thingDate used : 01/09/2015
- Great for Supernatural FansBy JM198912 August 2014aged 18 to 24Female
My partner and I went to Edinburgh some time last year and decided to do the ghost walk. There are a vast amount of tours available in Edinburgh but not all of them go through the underground vaults. We picked the torture tour (due to timings) and thought it was brilliant. Our guide was very informative explaining the history of Edinburgh as we walked through the city including the Heat of Mid Lothian, the location of the Tolbooth Prison and the reason for the "close" etc. the guide explains how the vaults were discovered as we go into the torture room which shows various torture/medieval paraphernalia. This I found the most horrifying of the tour for me personally. We then went into the vaults, they are quite dark and spooky as the gentleman described in another comment they are little warehouses/store rooms which are connected through a corridor as pictured however the purpose of this is explained in the tour. If spooky stuff is not your thing then do not bother because this is what is all about. Couldn't praise the guide enough. I would go again and do the longer tour.Date used : 12/08/2014
- PoorBy Allan21 July 2014
The tour was pretty weak but slightly interesting and made worse by a couple of drunks within the group. The voucher was about the right price. Perhaps we were unlucky with our choice.
- Almost a waste of time !By truthsayer24 August 2013aged 45 to 54Male
The underground tour is four storage rooms, connected by the corridor in the photograph. One vault is currently used by a coven of witches ( guides own words) with associated paraphernalia. The guide was articulate and informative about old Edinburgh and witches- ancient and modern- hence the one star.Date used : 14/08/2013
Add to basket
• Please check all opening/closing times, dates and admission prices before your visit.
• Tokens cannot be used in food outlets or shops.
• For a full list of where you can use your Days out token(s) please read 'Additional Information'
• Tokens can only be used against scheduled tours.
Terms & Conditions
• Vouchers can be used to purchase individual adult, senior, child and disabled tickets only. They cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or to purchase family tickets. They can also not be used to purchase souvenir brochures or items from our gift shop.
• Tokens may be used against standard admission, but cannot be used for galas, special events and/or shows, group bookings, season tickets or annual memberships.
• Tokens cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, scheme or promotion.
• Tokens are valid for 6 months from issue.
• You must exchange your Clubcard vouchers for tokens, Clubcard vouchers will not be accepted by the supplier.
• Tokens are not transferable and will be issued with the name shown on your Clubcard vouchers and may be printed with your postcode.
• All standard Tesco.com and Clubcard scheme terms and conditions apply, these can be found on the website.
• Unused, expired and redeemed tokens cannot be refunded, exchanged or returned. This does not affect your statutory rights.
• Tokens cannot be used for Tour and Dine packages.