Getting your baby's sleeping space ready is one of the best parts of preparing for their arrival. You can have lots of fun choosing soft toys and decorations, but if you're not sure what essentials to buy, we’ve put together the only list you'll need. You can also download it and print it out, ready to tick off items as you get them.
- Mattress – NHS safety advice says you should make sure it fits firmly in the cot with no gaps
- Fitted cot sheets – at least three sheets is best
- Blankets – keep your little one snuggly
- Sleepsuits – choose plain white or go for bright colours and patterns
- Baby sleeping bags or swaddling blankets – some parents prefer them as the baby can’t kick it off and get cold in the night
- Moses basket – your newborn might look lost in a big cot and a moses basket is easy to move around
- Waterproof mattress cover – an easy way to keep the mattress clean and avoid dust mites
- Room thermometer – your baby’s room should be between 16 and 20 degrees Celsius
- Nightlight – a newborn won’t be afraid of the dark but you can check on her easily with a dim light
- Baby monitor – hear your baby from the other side of the house
- Changing mat – absolutely essential for all those dirty nappies!
- Changing bag – ideal for keeping all your changing gear in one place when you're out and about
- Nappy disposal bin – keeps smells at bay
- A changing table or unit – choose one with raised sides to stop your baby rolling off
- Antibacterial hand gel – so you don’t have to leave your baby to wash your hands after changing
- Nappy cream – soothes sore bottoms
- Baby lotion – great for tackling dry skin
- Baby wipes – the fastest way to clean your baby during changes
- Cotton wool balls – kind and gentle on delicate skin
- Cotton wool buds – great for cleaning outer ears, skin creases and belly buttons (but never use inside the ear)
- Digital thermometer – make sure your baby isn't too hot or too cold
- Babygrows/sleep suits – your newborn will probably spend most of her early weeks in them!
- Pramsuits – wrap up warm for walks
- Tops – an extra layer when it’s cold or perfect for warm weather
- Bottoms – for girls and boys
- Socks – keep little feet toasty
- Warm hat – choose one without a turn-up so it doesn’t flop over your baby’s nose and mouth
- Sun hat – choose one with a wide brim to protect the face
- Scratch mittens – prevent your baby scratching her skin
- A comfy chair – makes night-time feeds much easier
- Storage – now is a good time to get organised!
- Soft toys – something to cuddle
- Photo frames – for special snaps
- Decoration – the finishing touches
From bump to toddler, Tesco Loves Baby Club is here to help you at every stage. If you’re not a member already, join the club now for great savings, prize draws and expert advice.