Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 20 minutes
175g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
175g self-raising flour
Cornflour, for dusting
750g ready-to-roll white icing
Black writing icing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Grease and flour 12 dariole moulds (these are widely available and the ideal shape for these spooky little cakes).
- Beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing in a tablespoon of flour with each egg.
- Beat well, then fold in the remaining flour. Spoon into the prepared moulds – they should be just over half full. Place them on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Cut the top off each cake to form a flat surface and turn out onto a plate. Leave until cold.
- Dust a work surface with cornflour and roll out the icing. Cut out twelve 15cm (6in) circles (you could use a saucer as a guide) and drape them over the sponge cakes to form ghosts.
- From the trimmings, cut out some tiny oval shapes for the eyes. Dampen the backs with a little water and stick them onto the ghosts. Use the writing icing to draw on the pupils of the eyes.
For lots more fun recipes, download Annabel’s Essential Guide to Feeding Your Baby & Toddler App on iTunes. With instant access to 200 delicious, easy-to-follow recipes, as well as advice, tips and recipe videos, it’s the ultimate guide to great food.