It’s time for weaning! The Government advises you can wean your baby at six months, but every baby is different – some may start earlier and others may take longer. You’ll know when your baby is ready when she can sit up on her own, has developed some hand co-ordination and takes an interest in your food! If you’re not sure what essentials to buy, we’ve put together the only list you’ll need. You can also download it and print it out, ready to tick off items as you get them.
- Highchair with safety straps and mess mat – keep your baby safe
- Bowl with suction base – keeps dinner where it’s meant to be!
- Soft baby spoons – won’t hurt your baby’s delicate gums
- Plastic-backed or pelican bibs – it’s going to be messy at first
- Divided plate – serve different types of food on the same plate
- Soft-spout beaker – gentle on little mouths
- Baby wipes – clean your baby’s face quickly
- Antibacterial spray – clean surfaces and highchairs easily
Stock up on
- Baby rice
- Baby porridge
- Mini pasta shells
- Soft, ripe fruit
- Vegetables for puréeing
- Finger foods and dips
- Healthy snacks
Tesco Loves Baby Club’s tips
- Make it fun – choose colourful food and don’t worry about mess
- Think variety and let your tot try lots of fruit and veg
- Freezing food in batches saves time and money
- Remember: the old food airplane trick usually works a treat!